The two are complimentary. Here are a few key differences:
- Different users, and for different reasons
- Coresight is best for users that have deep PI System experience and need serious depth, complete customization and work only larger screens or an iPad
- Visual KPI is designed for anyone who cares more about KPIs and quick decisions and for all of your non-PI experts to get value from PI data (managers, field staff, etc.)
- Visual KPI also helps when you need to look at multiple sources of data (not just the PI System).
- Visual KPI works on all devices and platforms including iOS, Android, Windows Phone, BlackBerry, PC/Mac and more.
Visual KPI provides visualization and decision support for management, supervisors and operations personnel, while OSIsoft Coresight is an engineering tool for detailed drill down and analysis. When used in combination, the tools provide an end-to-end capability which covers the entire spectrum of data display, navigation and analysis.
Simply put, Coresight is for your PI experts that need the full depth of PI tools while Visual KPI
Visual KPI and Coresight are perfect complements when trying to identify patterns and perform collaborative root cause analyses that are appropriate to your device, role, and location. For example, you might identify something violating a KPI limit and/or identify a pattern in the Visual KPI trend on your device, and then hand off to Coresight when a deep dive is needed using the exact same data context.
However, you can always refer back to Visual KPI when you need to understand something with GIS / location data or other "zoomed out" clues for operational context. It's sort of like having someone in the field asking Mission Control for operations support. Or an executive first getting an overview from Visual KPI and then asking for more insight from the engineering expert using Coresight.
Lastly, Visual KPI is available on all mobile devices (iOS, Android, Windows, BlackBerry, etc.) and browsers while Coresight mobile is designed specifically for the iPad.